Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Strength Your Missing

Teaching seminars and clinics teaches me almost as much of what people need as what I think they need to learn. My last seminar in Phoenix demonstrated this point to me in dramatic fashion. It was a tremendous opportunity for me to get really hands on with people and for them to experience how the details impact their sandbag training.

Nothing may have been more eye opening when we began the section on rotational training. This often overlooked side of sandbag training appeared to be the biggest challenge for many of the attendees. I am not big into trying to train "all planes of movement" as I believe many compound exercises do challenge us in all three planes. However, I also think that too many people train in nonathletic lifts.

I have to say that isn't completely true, the deadlift and squat are obviously athletic based lifts. Yet, it is when this is the only form of training one performs that we tend to see a loss of athleticism. This is due partly to the fact that we end up training flat footed all the time. While athletes spend most of their time on the balls of their feet it would seem plausible that we want to teach how to be efficient in other postures as well.

Learning how not to rotate through the back, but through the feet and hips, will not only prevent a low back injury, but improve efficiency and performance. In today's video I demonstrate how to learn these components in a systematic manner so you can achieve that movement efficiency to run faster, kick and punch harder, have a quick first step, and overall feel better!



In Strength,
Josh Henkin, CSCS
http://sandbagfitnesssystems.com

No comments: