Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Why Technique is King!

I'll be honest guys, I'm still down with the flu bug, but that doesn't mean I can't talk some good training! I really wanted to address a concept that sounds disturbingly simple, technique. I wanted to build off what I was discussing in my previous post without sounding redundant. I do think some people become paralyzed by this concept, but I think others don't give it enough attention.

If I were to follow the current trend in the industry I would post up some random coach's training video and rip it apart. Basically explaining why this specific coach doesn't know what he is doing, you know what though? I am going to do just that, however, I am going to do it to one of my own videos!

Seems pretty stupid, I know, but I hope you will follow me on my points of technique and that even technique and teaching has progressions that are important. If I asked 100 coaches and trainers if technique was important I bet you 100 would say, "duh! of course!" Then why is it that we all let certain things go and forgo technique at times?

Part of it is that we have the other extreme, those that will find some flaw no matter how much practice is spent with one's technique. This could definitely be paralyzing and discouraging. Treading that fine line is one of the greatest challenges in coaching.

When exercises become more complex, it becomes a huge challenge to show proficiency on every repetition. In addition, when a load gets heavy, the same can be said. I truly believe one of the main reasons that some people don't get a benefit from certain exercises is that they don't give enough attention to details. Others fail because they try to become perfect with a drill and never load. Ugh, it is tough!

So, what does one do? I have found you have to consider one very important thing before you proceed...are you performing this is lift in a competitive nature (i.e. powerlifting, strongman, GS, weightlifting, etc.)? If you are then everything really changes. You have to become dogmatic, you have to learn how to become extremely dedicated and patient because you are basically learning a sporting skill. If your goal is to increase your fitness or athletics by the drill then I have a slightly different philosophy.

1. What are the keys in performing the lift safely? Getting injured by performing a lift is always breaking a top rule. Once injury occurs then all performance and motivation is greatly hindered.

2. Don't overcoach at first, identify the three top cues for getting the most out of the lift. I once heard a trainer bark 15 commands at a client at once, man did that client have a confused look on their face! You can always add details, but there usually are some "big bang" keys that are the best to start with.

3. Have a progression of learning cues in mind. What is most important, then next, then next, then next? As a person experiences success the willingness to learn and be open to teaching increases, athletes are no exception.

So, after this simple ideas let's break down one of my own videos.



Let's take the shoulder clean first. Megan does a great job of keeping the load underneath her and not shortening the movement by extending her hip through the explosive part of the movement. My only cue would for her to be more stable at the bottom of receiving the load. A few times her tails tucks under and under a greater load would be not a good idea. Was it safe? Yes! Was it well done? Yes! Could it be slightly improved? Yep.

The hand walking drill is slightly different. Megan starts in a good position, but as she starts to fatigue her body starts to move into more flexion. Her butt starts to rise and her upper back starts to round more. In addition, I would have her tense her glutes and press inter her feet more to avoid excessive sway. Now, most would say she looks pretty good, and she does. However, to move onto more advanced progressions she would have to demonstrate better control. We may even move a step back to give her more stability. Remember too many people are overanxious to do more challenging drills before they are ready.

The leg curls look pretty darn good. However, I would like to see her perform them with her toes pointed towards her, I am not convinced she is using mostly glutes and hamstrings.

The around the world drill is often overlooked in our system. I see very few people actually implementing this drill. It is one of the more athletic drills and as Megan's performance demonstrates, isn't easy at all. Megan performs one of the biggest faults of the movement by slightly ducking out of the way when the bag is behind her. At this point you would ideally want to see the lifter squeeze the glutes and extend the torso so the bag as a lot of clearance, not flex forward. The time she stumbles also tells me she isn't rooting into the ground to establish a great base.

Is this to say Megan is doing anything unsafe? Nope, in fact, she does a great job, however, her performance would increase by starting to implement some of these tips. Would I stop her from training? Nope, I would have to coach better and maybe implement other drills to make sure she is in a position to perform these drills as best as possible. Megan is a great athlete, but we can all improve.

I hope this demonstrates not to rush past drills, but also not to stop training. We can all do better, take time to be your own critic so you can get the most out of your training!

In Strength,
Josh Henkin, CSCS
http://sandbagfitnesssystems.com

No comments: