Monday, March 23, 2009

Workouts for Busy Parents

What do you do when training can't be the focus on your world? What happens when you are responsible for your family? Most people give up on their fitness programs because it becomes too overwhelming to continue on a fitness program. However, that is one of the worst things you can do for yourself.

More and more people are single parents, and many times even in two parent households, both parents have to work. This seems too often mean sacrificing yourself and what is good for you for the sake of the family. While that can be admirable, sacrificing one's health does little for the good of the family.

I have worked with a lot of overweight kids. I wish it was a population that I never had to work with, not because I do not like the kids, but because it is a type of population that shouldn't exist. In fact, I remember losing it one time on a parent, yep, it usually is the parent's fault! I lectured her because she had brought her son to me that she believe had all sorts of problems. From ADD to "muscle control issues" to a host of other things, this Mom was convinced her son had something very wrong with him. You know what, he did! It was what they did at home.

I found out over time that the young man ate sugary breakfast cereals for breakfast, pizza and fast food for lunch, and often ate out for dinner. No wonder this young man was overweight and out of control. At the age of 12 parents still have a lot of control over these situations, there is no excuse. You can not ask your child to do something you won't!

I remember another client, Samantha. I told her not to keep bad foods in the house because every time she did, she ended up snacking on them. This was particularly true of ice cream and when I really confronted her about it (because she couldn't understand why she wasn't losing weight) she told me she didn't want to deprive her children of those foods, WHAT?! I turned and asked her 14 year old son standing next to her if he would feel deprived by not having ice cream in the house and he said a strong, NOPE! Truthfully it was Mom that wanted the ice cream in the house, not the kids.

Typically families that have unhealthy lifestyles will have children that model these bad behaviors. This is why I asked fitness expert, Chris Lopez to share some information with me. Why Chris? Very simply, Chris has written extensively on to create effective fitness programs for busy parents. His great site www.fitandbusydad.com is a great resource for those that want to be in great shape, but not sacrifice the priorities in their life.



Listen to Interview Here

Want to see how to make real fat loss workouts that can be done really fast? Check out today's training video as well. Featuring the new U-fill it Kettlebells, this is a simple and fun workout that can be accomplished with the U-fill it Kettlebell and Ultimate Sandbag.

In addition, I will show you some of my favorite fast fat loss routines...


<






No comments: