Monday, October 27, 2008

Sandbags in Iraq!



I know, I know, talking about sandbag training in the desert does yield some good jokes! However, I did want to share with you a story that really makes everything that I have been working for worth while.

About two years ago I was asked to do a private seminar for a unit of Scottsdale SWAT. This was done on their own dime because they were interested in maximizing their performance and reducing injuries. Many people do not realize professions such as law enforcement and fire do have a very high incident of heart attacks and other related illnesses.

Yes, part of this has to do with the fact many in this field do not take their fitness seriously after they make it through the academies. Another problem arises with the fact these professionals have to go from zero to one hundred, without warm-up, preparation, so forth. This creates a high demand on the heart and is perceived by the body as a huge stress. Without proper training, this can be very detrimental to one's health. Using many of the programs that I have shared over the years can help tremendously because they are built on the very same principles that cause many of our finest to suffer.

However, I digress....during the seminar I got to have the wonderful opportuity to work with not just great professionals that lay their lives on the line for us, but people as well. One gentelman I remember well, Thad, was heading off to Iraq and asked a lot of questions about how to remain fit while he was serving. Just recently I received an email from Thad that really made me feel good! I wanted to share this all with you to show that my mission more than anything is to help you get the most positive things out of your training programs.

"Hello Josh,

I just wanted to drop you a quick note to let you know I finally made it safely to
Iraq. Things aren't too bad here, just hot and dusty. I hope things are good on your
end.

The sandbag has been holding up well, I use it often. I also joined a crossfit club,
it is a close to functional training as I can get.

The gym here has a good set of kettle bells, attached is a photo of my attempt at a
Get Up, I know I should have my lead leg out further and a strong thrust with the
hips, but we will consider it a work in progress ;-)

I am trying to remember as much as I can from the day of training we did back in
May, when I get back next year I will be due for a refresher.

Take care,

Thad B."

Thank you Thad and people like yourself who place great sacrifices for all of us!

No comments: