Sunday, July 26, 2009

Q & A

Something that I've been meaning to do is really get our Q & A blogs going. So many people write me in with great questions that I want others to learn from their questions. Please, please send in those questions that you have been hesitant to ask because it could really help others! Today is one of our first Q & A blogs.


Hi Josh,


I just purchased the Strength Package, including the High Octane DVD.  I did Program One yesterday.  I want to make sure I'm starting off correctly, and I have a few questions.

 

1.  I am 48 years old, just under 5'7", 140 lbs.  I have always been thin and relatively weak, and have had trouble maintaining an exercise program.  I think I will enjoy the Sandbag and stick with it.  I am interested in long-term cardiovascular health, as well as building, toning and defining my body.  What weight do you suggest to start?  I chose 45 lbs., which seemed comfortable yet challenging.  Will I see benefits at this weight, or do you think I should increase it right away?

 

2.  Is it safe and beneficial to do the workouts on consecutive days, or should I go every other day?

 

Thanks for your help.  I love the Sandbag and will tell everyone I know about it.-Mike C.


Weight is always relative! Without knowing it you used one of the most common methods of assessing weight which is RPE (rate of perceived exertion). I have long said that sandbag training weights should be dictated by how challenging it feels, not by the number on the scale. A sandbag generally will be lighter than any other strength training implement you have used in the past because of how awkward and "noncooperative" they are. If the weight feels challenging, but allows you to maintain good form then it is the right weight. 


The programs on the High Octane DVD were designed to be performed every other day. Now, COULD you do them on consecutive days? Yes, however, you may need a few days after this to recover. Most people don't realize that sandbag training greatly fatigues the nervous system because of all the muscle coordination needed and this is far more fatiguing that just tiring out the muscles. That is why generally I give a day in between for workouts, yet, I realize that some people's schedules do not allow for this. So, to be realistic you can do back to back days but give time for recovery especially if you are beginning to feel very tired or excessively sore. 

 

No comments: