Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Romanian Sandbag is Here!


Are you dying to know what secret training method I was able to scrounge up from secret Romanian strength training books? Do you want to know how I have now been able to develop a sandbag based upon the underground strength training methods of ancient athletes?

The truth is NONE! I know, right now disappointment is racing through your body, DON'T! There is a terrible misconception that anything foreign is better than what we currently have available. Sure, we can always learn and borrow from others, but this idea that training is far more mysterious than it is, is simply a lie.

This really dawned on me as I was doing research for a group that wanted to hear about the history of sandbag training. As I dug, dug, and dug for a definitive starting point of the beginning of sandbag training I kept coming up empty. Until I found some paperwork that seem to find the beginnings of sandbag training to date back to ancient Egypt. So, maybe it isn't Romanian, it is Egyptian Sandbags!

Seriously though, I wanted to discuss that most training isn't from a singular source and maybe sandbags can be the most representative of this fact. Why don't sandbags have a glaring single place that they were popularized? Probably because it was so obvious to so many different cultures that sandbag training was such a versatile and effective training tool. You can find variations of sandbag training in about every culture of athletic development.

Before "functional training" was a big buzz term, athletes and warriors were using sandbags because they could accomplish so much. This is where I face a crossroads of sorts.

I have always been very careful about what I said in my blogs, articles, videos, and newsletters. I never wanted to be that sales pitch guy that made something seem to so much more than is really is. However, that was before I worked so hard to create a tool that would ruin that thought for me.

Initially when I wrote about sandbag training I was in the same boat as everyone else, using homemade simply made sandbags. I was right, at that time sandbags were a good training tool, but they quite wouldn't have the versatility that a staple training tool would have. The evolution of what I know call "The Ultimate Sandbag" does make the sandbag training not just a cool training technique, but an absolutely necessary one!

Want to know why these sandbags are so special and why they won't be sandbags for much longer? Stay tuned for next post!!

No comments: