Sunday, November 25, 2007

Sandbag Training for Combative Athletes

When I decided to write "Knockout!" I thought, this is a no brainer!! Combative athletes have long used sandbags and sandbag type implements for their training. It may be one of the few training tools that is truly sport specific for combative athletes. Their "noncooperative" nature makes them most closely resemble the challenges of working with a live opponent. In addition, they work as great strength and conditioning tools. The ability of sandbag training techniques to be picked up quickly makes them highly desirable for any coach.

I am always so excited to see what other great coaches have come up with for the implementation of our sandbags. One of my favorite is the innovations of combative expert coach, Mike Fry (www.grapplersgym.com). Recently I caught one of his videos and wanted to share with all of you the possibilities of implementing sandbags into your routines.


No comments: